Author Topic: changing the mod menu ! (Photoshop)  (Read 11108 times)

Offline ReD_BeReT

changing the mod menu ! (Photoshop)
« on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:59 am »
after i read some threads about changing the mod menu to fit your own needs, i wanted to make this simply small tutorial to share an easy way for getting it to work with photoshop...

First of all we need some things... like dds2iwi converter iwi2dds converter and adobe photoshop which has been used for this tutorial...

you will also need to have the nvidia dds plugin for photoshop which you can get here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

if you generelly got problems with your own created iwi files with cod4 and maybe with vista too please download exactly this converter http://www.modcod4.com/download.php?view.3 .

so now we are ready for the menu !
the menu is build from some more pics like layers on a homepage for example but we want to keep it simple so we just use bg_front2.iwi which is the "most on top" layer.

first of all you can grab my psd file here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/143629374/bg_front2.rar.html

this photoshop psd contains all infos you need to know if you open it you'll the layers on the right side which are named so that you know where they are and what they do !
The positions of the layers are perfect optimized to the main menu of cod4 and for example the version number so i recommend you keep the positions of this layers fixed.
in the background i used a simple charlieoscardelta wallpaper you can do your own custom one or grab one from anywhere...
colors, gradients etc. can be changed / added to fit your own needs.
Dont change the Alpha channel of the image, if you dont know what an Alpha Channel is... its ok for now ! :)
After you've done your changes you NEED TO FLATTEN our image which can be done if you click on Layer -> Flatten Image which is at the bottom in the Layer Menu.
If you're done with it, simply go to File -> save as... and choose D3D/DDS
and save it somewhere on your PC as bg_front2.dds.
Drag and drop it now on the dds2iwi converter to get a bg_front2.iwi copy it into your rawfiles iwd/images folder and compile your MOD.

It can look like this for example:
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7659/menuhd2.jpg

if you want to have the cod logo somwhere else you need to read this thread:
http://extreme.planetcallofduty.gamespy.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19850&highlight=#19850
to have it in the middle at the top of the menu you need to change the main.menu rect to this -50 56 278 68

ill hope this will make it much easier for some of you to change the menu of the mod.
If you want to show up your nice menu,you can post it here:
http://extreme.planetcallofduty.gamespy.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2629

HAVE FUN !

Offline PvtGomerPyle

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:38:53 pm »
Make sure when you save your background as a .dds file to use DXT 5 (NOT DXT5_NM)

Also make sure No MIP maps is also checked.

I've found it easiest to save all related files in one folder made for that purpose and titled "Soldier background"....

Nice Tut Blue..... :wink:  :wink:

Offline ReD_BeReT

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:45:56 pm »
yep i forgot that to say :D
thanks for the info ^^
here is a screenshot how it should look like:

Offline FZappa

Trouble with tut
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:52:53 am »
I created my .DDS with Photoshop CS3 then converted it to "bg_front2.iwi" I then added it to the "z_x4.iwd" archive under the images directory. Loaded it up on my pc before uploading it to my server and I just get a black screen and have to kill the process. Removed it from the archive and it started up fine. Im probaly missing something easy but not sure where to go from here. Im trying to add it to the Extreme X4 v2.0 Mod. Also saved the .DDS in same specs as GomerPyle posted and used your .psd just changed the text to see if I could get it to work before I went all out.

Any help is much appreciated.

Also Extreme comes with bg_fogscrollthin.iwi (also located in z_x4.iwd under the images directory) that causes a website address to scroll slowly across the menu screen which I would like to remove or disable and am not too sure how as I would like to keep away from having to use the mod tools as they are a pain for me lol.

Thanks in Advance

Offline ReD_BeReT

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:18 am »
simply remove the bg_fogscrollthin.iwi from your iwd folder.
for your dds, make sure that you used Flatten Image before you saved it as dds File then dds to iwi then simply copy it in the iwd/images folder, should work fine :)

Offline PvtGomerPyle

Re: Trouble with tut
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 09:02:40 am »
Quote from: " Also saved the .DDS in same specs as GomerPyle posted and used your .psd just changed the text to see if I could get it to work before I went all out.
[/quote

When you say you used Blue's .psd to change the text that may have caused a problem. Try doing your background without text first then save it as a .dds file convert to .iwi and try it again. Then add text to your .psd file save as .dds and convert to .iwi etc,,,,,

Concerning the scrolling website.... What website is it? The stock z_x4.iwd does not have a bg_fogscrollthin.iwi in it so I suspect some other problem.

Offline FZappa

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:17:29 am »
Quote from: "bluescreen81"
simply remove the bg_fogscrollthin.iwi from your iwd folder.
for your dds, make sure that you used Flatten Image before you saved it as dds File then dds to iwi then simply copy it in the iwd/images folder, should work fine :)

Ok removed bg_fogscrollthin.iwi and that went away with no problem, but as soon as I add the bg_front2.iwi I created to the iwd/images I try to load the mod and just get an error which I cant see.. black window and have to close. I have flattened image and tryed saving the .dds with  no MIP maps and Generate MIP maps with the same result. Every time as DXT5. Also tryed changing the .iwd file name to bg_fogscrollthin.iwi with same error and game closes.

Here are copies of the .dds and the .iwi I converted 2 using dds2iwi.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2eb61ikemsy

Offline PvtGomerPyle

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 09:51:34 am »
You mentioned a website that scrolls..... What is the name of the website?

Offline FZappa

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 10:00:21 am »
Quote from: "PvtGomerPyle"
You mentioned a website that scrolls..... What is the name of the website?

it was www.mycallofduty.com in yellow, basicly just letting you know u can change it if you like. Downloaded version 2.0 of X4 from this site so it should be official. Im about to try and create the menu from scratch and see if that helps like you suggested

Offline PvtGomerPyle

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:05:13 am »
Tried to download you images file from your link but no joy....Said file no longer available.....

Offline ReD_BeReT

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:37:57 am »
i thin you're using a wrong dds to iwi coneverter, are you using that one posted in my tutorial ?

Offline FZappa

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
Tried to download you images file from your link but no joy....Said file no longer available.....

Ok I tryed creating my own from scratch but there were no alpha channels but still tried it and same result. So went back with supplied .psd and just deleted all layers besides the bg and the cod4 logo layer.. flatened image..saved to .dds, converted to .iwi, added to iwd/images.... same problem. I took some screens of how im saving the .dds and whats happening when I try and load the mod. Also a copy of my mod files in here with it already inserted and not working (This link will def work i uploaded to my redirect) Also included the version of the .psd im using

http://armyinmotion.escapedturkey.net/allmyfiles.rar

Offline FZappa

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 10:41:05 am »

yup im using dds2iwi.exe and heres the readme file that came with it just to compare versions:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
             DDS2IWI
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Version : BETA 1
Email :   Les@planetpointy.co.uk
Web :   http://www.planetpointy.co.uk

----------------
CREDITS:
----------------
ME & Google! ;-)

----------------
USE:
----------------

You can either make a bat file and use the command line dds2iwi filename (Where filename is the name of the DDS file to convert) or you can simply drop a dds file onto the dds2iwi.exe within windows.

----------------
NOTES:
----------------

As there are still a couple of bytes I am not 100% sure about in the IWI header, some images may not show correctly in game. If you find any particular sizes, drop me a line.

The converter only supports DXT1 & DXT5 textures, use DXT1 for non alphas and DXT5 for alpha textures.

Offline PvtGomerPyle

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:46:49 am »
I'll check it out and get back to ya in a few........ :wink:  :wink:

Offline FZappa

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:50:03 am »
GRRRRR, just tryed dds2iwi-cod4 Converter and it worked without any problems at all lol. Sorry to waste your time, knew it was going to end up being something stupid. Appreciate the help guys.

*NOTE If you have problems like this try the "dds2iwi-cod4 Converter" before posting*