Author Topic: Sound Problems  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Mooton

Sound Problems
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering, during the development of X5 did you run into any problems with sounds, by problems i mean the size of the sound files.

When i was running X4 on our cod4 server i had a number of mp3s for spawning, end of map etc. I changed the file names to what they should be for WaW and uploaded them. They didnt work and i then noticed that WaW uses .Wav format rather than mp3.

So now ive got a bit of a problem, if you cant use mp3 on WaW and only Wav, then the iwd for the music files is MASSIVE. A 20MB file from cod4 has now turned into a 100+MB file!! Obviously this is too large, who is gonna hang around waiting for a file that size to download? lol

So i ask you guys, did you ever run into this problem?

Did you just have to bite the bullet and use Wav? or did you find a way around it?

Thanks in advance  for any info/advice on this problem.

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

• http://www.mycallofduty.com
Re: Sound Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:12:36 pm »
Sounds must be compiled through the Mod Tools for WaW and must be in WAV format now

Offline Mooton

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 04:15:31 pm »
Thanks Joker, ill have a look into that

Offline Mooton

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
Could you please just clarify something for me joker? (or anyone else)

If we wanted to add our own music/sounds like on cod4 and did it how it now has to be done through the mod tools, then does that mean i would have to compile them together into a mod.ff file? Meaning it could not be used in conjunction with the X5 mod (or any other mod for that matter).

If that isnt the case how exactly would it work and could it be used alongside the X5 mod?

Thanks for any help/info.

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:33:12 pm »
If your output is just an IWD with the sounds in it ((meaning you are still using the same file names as stock or X5)) then it should work just fine in conjunction with X5

If you wanted to script in NEW sounds with a soundaliases CSV that would require building it with the mod.ff

Offline Mooton

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:42:20 pm »
Thanks Joker,

I have an IWD named sound.iwd (who would of thought of that name ;)) that is from our previous cod4 server. If i change the filenames to the stock spawns and convert them from mp3 to Wav then that should work?

Thanks m8

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
Yes, probably m8 -- please give it a try and let us know how it worked out

Offline Mooton

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
So far i cant get it to play the sounds, as a test i swapped out some of the extreme sounds from the mp_x5.iwd file (firstblood, whyami etc) so i could give it a quick test.

Unfortunatly they do not seem to work, the txt still comes up but there are no sounds to go with it. Made sure i had them in Wav format too.

Rather tired now lol so it is possible it is my lack of sleep causing it, will give it another bash tomorrow and let u know how it goes.

Offline Mooton

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 01:32:58 pm »
Still cant get them to work.

Do you know the filename for the main menu music for mp?, i think this would be the easiest place to start as i dont have to keep uploading the x5 iwd to our server, if i change the menu music i can just play around with it on my pc until i get it to work. Then apply whatever i do to the other sounds once its working.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline Mooton

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:07:51 am »
Hi Joker,

I have made some progress in changing the spawn music, i cannot get my Wav files to play when spawning but i extracted the hallelujah.wav from the X5.iwd and that works as spawn music when i change the file name and add it to my iwd.

So my question now is, exactly what Wav format are the extreme sounds saved as? IE: PCM signed 16 bit mono etc.

If you can answer this i believe i will be able to get it working!

Thanks.

Offline stufz

• http://theblackduck.net
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »
WaW is default 16 bit, that much i know, Morton

Offline Mooton

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:53:04 am »
Thanks for that, i managed to figure out what Wav format the extreme sounds are in. I open them in goldwave and it is displayed at the bottom, weird thing is i saved one of my sounds as the same format uploaded to the server as ja_spawn_airfield and it didnt work. I took one of the extreme sounds uploaded that as ja_spawn_airfield and it worked! weird.

i'm going to have another play with it this weekend i think.

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:53:54 am »
You are probably going to have to use the COD5 Tools to get the right settings for the sounds here is what we did:

self made sound files go in "root game directory"/sound_assets/raw/sound/
your custom extreme.csv file goes into 'CoDWaW root directory'/Mods/SoundMod/soundaliases/
a copy of the extreme.csv into raw/soundaliases/

tick build sound and click on build mod

new sounds are now in raw/sound/  
copy those to Mods/SoundMod/sound

to compile the rest of the mod just use the build mod.ff and iwd options, you can place the new sounds from the Mods/SoundMod/sound dir into the iwd

Offline Mooton

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:43 pm »
Ah, nice one joker,

Just one question what should be in the csv file?

Thanks

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:55:15 pm »
@Mooton -- I'll have to post that once I get home from work