Author Topic: Log Files  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Mooton

Log Files
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:49:22 am »
Hi Guys,

Recently we have been having issues with our server crashing on map changes or on rare occasions in the middle of a game.

Before i started panicing etc i thought i would have a look at the console log from the server and also the games log, when i opened them up both of them had stopped logging at some point, i thought that maybe they had reached a limit or something so i erased all the text in both of them and saved.

They still wont log and it has been a couple of days now, how exactly do you get them to log? it is one thing i have never had to be concerned about before as it has always seemed to log fine.

This is taken from my server.cfg where do i check the log settings for the console log as this is only the games.log or is the console one automatic?

// Log Settings
set g_logsync "2" // 0=no log, 1=buffered, 2=continuous, 3=append
set logfile "1" // 0 = NO log, 1 = log file enabled
set g_log "games_mp.log" // Name of log file, default is games_mp.log
set sv_log_damage "1"

Dont know what is causing the server to crash, we have been running the mod (x5 v1) for ages without issue, the only thing that has really changed are the custom maps, all of which work fine like i said its random when it crashes.

So far ive tried deleting unused maps from the server and also cut down the amount of maps in the rotation.

I have also turned off the vote map system which we were using to no avail.

Just ran a very basic map rotation of TDM only.

thanks for any help.

Offline skapmoney

Re: Log Files
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »
HI Mooton,

I operate several COD servers from a dedicated Server 2003 machine and had a bit of trouble finding the logs for mod servers initially. I had to look in the  folder where the application file set was installed and not the local application path where the mod and usermpas configs etc reside.  I would suggest that you rename your logs within the config to something unique like "egn run and gun_log" and then do a search on for the file after you save the config and have the chance restart your game server.  The mod will create those files for you and you can refer to them as needed.   :D

When I took over a while back as an admin there were log files in excess of 800MB in place so I would imagine that they will continue to grow until they are cleared. That question is a bit above my knowledge level. Anyhow I hope the above helps with getting some proper information to begin isolating your problems.  

Hope this helps,

{SKA} P_money

Offline JimmyCorps

• http://www.canuckgamer.ca
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:14:56 pm »
As he mentioned, if you are referring to the logs in the main folder, they stopped recording once you activated the mod.

Look in your mod folder and you will see a new pair of logs by the same names. These are where the info you are looking for are.

Example: Our server runs same mod. My fs or mod folder is esx5mod which is located in the default mod folder on the server. My logs are located in the esx5mod folder.

Offline Mooton

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:13:38 am »
Its ok this issue is sorted now, i totally forgot about this post lol

I wasnt looking for them in the main folder i was looking in the mod folder but they had stopped logging, i found them in codwaw_l folder in the end.

Crashing issue seemed to be the server (Linux issue) we now have a Windows server and that seems to be fine with all the same files on it and more!

Thanks for the replies and advice.