Author Topic: Weapon Modding Tutorials.  (Read 3801 times)

Offline WodkaGT

Weapon Modding Tutorials.
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:56:55 am »
In this Topic i will start my tutorial about COD4 weapon modding. I will start with the main idea of modding. I excuse myself for my poor english and will be thankfull if someone could fix the spelling errors later.

1: Main idea.

It is simply. We have a lot of ways to fresh up a weapon in COD.

1: Add something to make the old model looks cool.
2: Replace just the model without changing the animations.
3: Create a model from scratch with own animation, sounds etc.

In this tutorial i will describe only the way 1 and 2 cause i naver got familiar with animations in Maya.

1 way - Adding Stuff (Theory).

Well take the standart M4 Assault Rifle. Looks pretty boring not? So we search for stuff we could add. Laserpointers, Flashlights, new Mags and so on. Aftre then i will explain how to add that stuff in COD 4.

2 way - Replace the Weapon (Theory)

There are lot more things you should look @ by replacing a weapon. I'll explain it with two pictures.

Thats the AK-47. Old, rusty stuff. No way something for a game that calls itself "Modern Warfare"

And that is the AK-107/108. The newest AK built in the world. Balanced and still deadly. So what do we need to look @ by replacing. Each gun has its animation points. This are things that are animated or are just important. This are.

The grip
The Ironsights (very important).
The mag (very Important).
The reload mechanisms.

If you have a new model to replace you shall look if those things are in the same position. If they are everything is great. If they are displaced it will lead to ironsights that are completely pointed off, mags that going wrong way by reloading or soldier that holds his weapon behind the grip :)

That's all about theory. Next time i'll explain you the practice.

Offline WodkaGT

Re: Weapon Modding Tutorials.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 04:56:19 am »
I will continue my tutorial today. I will explain how to set Maya up and how to change existing weapons.

First you need Autodesk Maya 8.5.

Then you need the COD4 Modding tools.

If you have both we are free to go on.

1: - http://wiki.modsrepository.com/index.php/Call_of_Duty_4:_Maya_Static_Model_Export#Setting_up_your_Maya_environment
Use the first step to set up your plugins for maya. The plugins are located in Moddingtoolsfolder\bin\maya\tools.

2: Set up your Enviroment. Window/Settings/Preferences/Settings (on the left side)
Up Axis - Z
Working Units - inch

Click save.

Now there is a drop-down menu on the left side. Click it ang choose Customize

Click - Edit/New Menu Set

Call it something like "COD4 modding"

Add following things to the List.

Call of Duty 4
Character
Color
Skin

Now you have your own menu point that will allow you to work with COD4 stuff easily.

Offline 105HolyMoly

• http://holymolymods.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »
:D  I'm following your tutorials very closely........................... It's nice that I use Maya 8.5 also! :)

Fred

Offline WodkaGT

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:44:07 pm »
I will continue the whole stuff @ the weekend cause i do not have enough time during the week :) Next time i will explain the practic things.