Author Topic: MW2: A new begining?  (Read 17941 times)

Offline Joker{eXtreme}

• http://www.mycallofduty.com
MW2: A new begining?
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:35:17 pm »
The PC Call of Duty community is in an uproar over the latest news that Dedicated Servers will not be made available with COD:MW2. This means NO clan servers and no custom mods or maps unless comming from IW, which will probably include a price tag. To top it off they increased the price of the game by $10.

My initial reaction was shock and anger, not to mention the massive amount of questions. How dare they change how we have been playing this game. At first thought, from a clan owners perspective, I couldn't imagine how my clan could possibly stand out in the crowd of public servers. How would any clan grow and become known like they do by server rank and popularity within COD:4 and COD:waw? How would 2 dozen clan members gather together in one place to game with familiar people?

Many players, myself included have decided to cancel their pre-ordered game or just not get it on day one. The common theme seems to be, "Let's wait and see what happens", maybe IW will see how much they are wrecking the game and screwing the PC community. Just MAYBE, IW knows what they are doing. Lets face it Punkbuster is a pain in the ass. I don't have any experience with VAC, but is it possible that it is a better Anti-Cheat system?

OMG, NO dedicated servers!!! An absolute upset for server admin everywhere. But WAIT! How many clan servers sit empty all day, every day. How many admin pull out their hair trying to get players to join their clan server only to find that their own members are playing elsewhere. Having public servers will allow admins to finally be able to play stress free, no watching for trouble makers, no monitoring language and trying to ensure that the players on your server are enjoying themselves. Now we, the admins, can enjoy the game as well. Clan mates can still meet on Teamspeak or Vent, you can still follow a player into a server via Xfire or Steam. You can host a private game for clan events. We can make this work!

This does leave the question of 'How will players deal with the bad seeds'? I am sure alike players will find a way to gather together. I am also sure that we can formulate some way to keep track of trouble makers. Just look at what PST*Joker has in the works with gCops.  A database containing the names of "bad" players. I am not familiar with console gaming or how public servers are ran. But there must be some way we can take an idea like gCops and use it to our advantage.

As for no mods and no custom maps, I think its a little early to be speculating whether or not this will actually be a problem. There is a history of mod tools not being ready on release day. In the meantime COD:2, COD:4 and World at War are still popular games, maps are still being made and mods are still being tweaked. IF you should get bored with the same old from Modern Warfare 2, reinstall one of the other series and visit your friendly neighbourhood modded server.

There has been alot of rumor and "he said, she said" getting the community upset and ready to boycott the game. Is this really necessary? It is still Call of Duty, the series we became hooked on many years ago. I believe that the PC community is smart enough to figure out a way to make this work in our favor. We should all just embrace the change, or at the very least give it a fair try before turning our backs on it.

Original Author of this post has asked me to remove their name from it

Offline IAF_Lostcom

• http://www.iaoff.com
Re: MW2: A new begining?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:12:48 pm »
What bullshit, I will not purchase the game until others feel it out first.

I am very much disapoointed in this move and appauled that they did not release this info earlier. Lots of people out there have been planning for this new release and getting their fellow clan members excited about it.

Sorry to take the opposite view but this should have been released a long time ago.

Offline coRpSE

• http://www.headshotdomain.net
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:34:06 pm »
I will not purchase the game if they are going to stick going this root. They have the same thing as in L4D and I hated it with a passion. on top of that, running a server was a complete joke. Half of the things not working right, and getting your mates on the same server was not easy. I think this is the knot that broke the camels back for them. I always played games that gave the ability to have mods the way you want them, have the ability to keep profanity and racial languages out if you dont want it there, but by them doing this, the are removing that and going to make the games a terrible experience. Sad thing is. There is a whole community on there site that is complaining that they don't want it. yet they will not listen or take the 5 min to respond. If I remember right. There was an interview where they asked if there was any changes to the game experience to the PC gamers, or something along those lines, and the answer was NO. So where do they stop be hypocrites and keep there word¿

Offline Mooton

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 06:04:27 pm »
I totally disagree.

Clans having thier own servers is what makes the PC experience so good and unique, i would not be in the clan i am today without them, most likely the clan would not exist!!

Being able to go into a server browser and see lots of different servers that are all different in thier own way is great, you try one and if you like it you add it to your favorites, its even better when the clan that run it are a good set of people who you can get along with and police it properly. With this, every server will be the same pretty much and will be full of arseholes who cant be banned on a permanent basis, im sorry but that doesnt sound like fun to me!

I am our server admin and although i agree that trying to get players into the server or having clan members moan about different things they dont like frustrating at times i would quite happily take that over this bullcrap anyday! If you dont enjoy being the admin for your server and dealing with the hassle that comes with it then find someone else who will, those are the cons that come with running a server and the pros well out do them when you can run mods like extreme.  THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!

I am totally gutted about this whole thing, i have recently been trying to get into modding, I have also done a couple of maps for WaW and was hoping to continue expanding my knowledge with MW2, that looks to of gone out the window now.

My only hopes are that Treyarch dont follow suit but if this is a success then they certainly will, ALL THE MORE REASON NOT TO BUY IT!! Likewise i hope IW realise thier mistake in the coming future but if sales dont drop then they wont and this will continue, before you know it there will probably be a monthly subscription charge on the next titles.

Is this the start of the end for custom cod? Only time will tell but if there is no change to their pockets it certainly will be. There is always the risk that if there is a "boycott" of MW2 then future titles wont be released for PC, in my view though that is a risk worth taking to try and preserve this fantastic community!!!

Offline FemmeFatale

• http://www.bitethebulletclan.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 06:28:32 pm »
So IW messed up. Shit happens. It is still possible we could get what we want.

MW2 is not a clan friendly game, but that does not mean it wont be a good game. I understand the anger, I am a clan owner also. There is no rule book that says clans must follow and switch to each new COD game that gets released.  The members within my clan are split, some swear they will not purchase the game while others still want to give it a try. If I pick one side over the other and outcast those that want the game, what is that going to do to my clan?   I don't believe a full blown 'boycott' will happen, there are too many players that are not part of clans and who have no idea what a clan is about.

In the end, I guess I just hope that those who decide to go ahead and play MW:2 don't feel any backlash. With opinions so divided we could end up hurting the PC community ourselves.

I too feel strongly about this and that is why I am voicing my opinion. I would like to see future COD titles be released, in the same manner and format as the previous ones. I would also like to have a clan and community intact for when it happens.

Offline coRpSE

• http://www.headshotdomain.net
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:49:48 pm »
Personally, after listening to the Bash and Slash, it sounds like it wouldn't be a bad system for the newer clans that cant afford servers right away, but on the other hand I feel that they should not have removed the dedicated servers all together. Maybe run with both there, and see how it goes before just ripping one of the key features that PC gamers/clans are looking for.

Offline Mooton

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:30 am »
True there are a lot of players who arent in clans but it isnt just the fact that clans cant have thier own server, if there are no dedi servers there will be no custom content and although with every cod release everybody has to play it stock for a while until mods and maps are released there is no option for it in MW2. I know without custom content i would not play this game as long as the previous titles, custom content is what keeps its playability stock just gets tiring.

Sure the game will be good, i dont think it will be rubbish and if people feel that they arent botherd about dedi servers or custom content fair enough that is thier decision but anyone who loves cod on PC for the variety of servers and custom content needs to ask theselves if this is what they want as buying the game will only help and support these changes IW have forced upon us, that is why i will not be buying.

You are right there wont be a total boycot, no chance, but the more people who dont purchase the game the better. I don't think people will go on a witch hunt if some people buy it, that would be pathetic. Your clan should stay intact, there are members in our clan who are still going to buy it i think but we aint going to burn them at the stake for it!

Have IW ever heard the phrase "dont fix what isnt broken"? (bugs not included).

Offline Overkill

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:19 am »
Now that is some crap,
 We the gamers buy there games  all theses years ,and now this ,
And they want more money ,dang begaining to sound like the gov,and the banks,and insurance companys,
Greedy bastards

Up date ,,,,I have been talking to the server company I am with ,,they do not run on a public routing system as do most server companys,,and they have there own data centers alll run on fiber optic
they are fully independent and we are now looking in to how we could start a new system to run this game on there own system for all,,
Games will not show in reg game lobby ,but a new lobby will be set up,,for pc gamers and clans,
 Only fall back is you will have to rent your dedicated servers from them, but they have some of the best servers out on the market,
We dont know if this is going to work out or not have to see when game comes out,but could be a way we all could go over there heads and do as we please with the mods and the games,

I'll keep all posted on this,

Offline 69HADES

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:30 am »
Call of Duty was a PC Game long before being a console game. Modders put a lot of time into the COD series. The PC gamers made the COD Game what it is today. A lot of the mods you see into the lastest version of the game, were done by modders and IW stole them and used them in the lastest release.
Is that how they pay the people back for supporting them.

All that will happen now is that, there will be no more mods or custom maps.

I wont be buying COD MW2, I will get a copied version have no reason to buy it lol.

Offline creeper

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:59:58 am »
I will NOT buy this game and as a owner of house of gamers will not support this game we are a small clan with a little over 100 members and they will not be buying this game instead we are putting up more cod4 and waw servers i have been playing cod since it first came out and its been a long time!! i have put alot time into these games and they go and do this !! if it wasnt for the pc players and the mods and maps these games would NOT have went as far as they did . they just spit in our faces so here is what they can do with that game
                                         []>>>^>>((

:evil:  :evil:  :twisted:

creeper

Offline Chiblue

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:06 pm »
My thoughts on this,  if anyone really wants them.... lol

This is simply a ploy by either IW or Activision or Steam or All to increase there revenues on the game...  

Key here is the Game server providers and modding is taking money from the developers and distirbutors...

I believe that treyarch with WaW were planning the same approach and realized, to thier credit the backlash it would create,  hence the last minute scramble to provide a dedicated server version,  that was to say the least a disaster...  IW appear to have more conviction and personally , but we will see...  Speaking from the modding community side,  it has always been very apparent that companies like Treyarch and IW hate the mdding community becuase they take away future dollars,  because in almost all cases we build mods that they could sell in updated and patches so it takes that side.  If steam control the servers and they play like the console MP games,  then modding is impossible and we will be forced to pay up for new maps,  weapons, enhancements.. most of which the modding community give for free...

Also the other point is the game servers,  if steam controls all the multiplayer games,  then steam,  which you have to pay for are probably working out some royalty payments (this is my opinion, no facts)...  But now the GSPs run thier own business and have no royalty to provide the game... which I am sure frustrates the developer and distributors ( IW and Activision)..

THIS IS ALL ABOUT GREED AND LINING POCKETS....

We as members of this community are being pushed to one side purely to satisfy the bottom line,  like so many others,  I would add that I see a situation were many GSPs being snubbed by this will stop supporting COD games...  In my humble opinion we should stand together and tell IW and Activision, not Dedicated server, no mod tools.... we will never support this game...  they are in a no lose situation,  they can throw this out on day1 then if it's painful release a patch and they are all happy again...  I for one say this... if there is not dedicated server and mod tools release commited to by day 1,  I will not then and will never supprt MW2.... My statement is,  if they are not prepared to commit to our community then we should all stop supporting thiers... and blacklist this game in our clans and mods and send this message.  What these people don't understand is this... MW, WaW for the PC is probably the only game on the PC that still sells for or close to its original selling price... no other game has done this... why... becuase of the dedicated servers,  Clans and modding,  this extends the gameplay and continually brings new people to the community and more and more sales..  There are better SP games out there than COD, which are now selling for half or less than thier original price... this move will delegate COD MW2 to this realm...  

..  I personally will not support or mod or play MW2 under this situation...

they are experts in greed--an accursed brood! - Peter 2:14

Offline evilswine

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:00:04 pm »
Call Of Duty WAW is a disapointment for pc gamers( at least for me), and now MW2!! PC gamers are screwed again!! I'ts like we don't pay for the game we play. I hope that X3 is out soon, that we can play the last COD game(COD:MW), that is fun to play!! Thanx to the extreme+ crew!!! :P  :P

Offline Paulo88

• http://www.paulo88.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 01:08:33 pm »
Its quite obvious why they've decided to host all the game servers.

It means from now on any map pack (DLC) will be done via the IW.NET system.  This simply put means no more freebies for PC gamers.  We will now be expected to pay for any future map packs as with the 360 / PS3 guys.

This means no more custom maps or mods from the community.  And the reason they don't want this input is quite simple... its free !

It all boils down to $$$.

I dont beleive for one minute that this new IW.NET system "improves" MP gameplay.  If it does, then why do so many other game NOT support it.  DICE have even spoke out saying that dedicated servers is a must with all their MP games.

IW have stood on the shoulders of giants to get MW2 ready (much taken from X4) and they're ready to drop us at a price.

Well, I for one will be hitting them where it hurts... the accounts departement.

I will NOT be purchasing MW2 as planned.  I will be waiting for a dedicated server patch before I buy.

Offline -RDX-Leftless1

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:17 pm »
Its a shame that we (pc gamers) are taking it in the back door again !!! Myself and a lot of my m8's have canceled our pre orders of MW2 as I'm sure many of you have or are planning to. I don't really see how this is a benefit to IW/activision as far as lining their pockets with all the cancellation I'm sure their getting.?

If this is the route they want the game to go they should have made it for console only like Cod3 was and not got our hopes up like this only to crush us in the 11 hour. :(  :(

Offline Chiblue

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 02:44:28 pm »
Quote from: "evilswine";p="30719"
Call Of Duty WAW is a disapointment for pc gamers( at least for me), and now MW2!! PC gamers are screwed again!! I'ts like we don't pay for the game we play. I hope that X3 is out soon, that we can play the last COD game(COD:MW), that is fun to play!! Thanx to the extreme+ crew!!! :P  :P

Yes, COD WaW was a disappointment to us all,  but it is what we have to work with.. the new versions of X5 that have just been released and we are looking to a V3 release in the near future we are working hard to repair some of the damage that Treyarch did to the gameplay...  you should take a look again at this with the X5 mod.