Author Topic: CTF Tweaks & SV-FPS 30 Implementation.?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline GenSherman

• http://www.Devil-Dogz.com
CTF Tweaks & SV-FPS 30 Implementation.?
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
Hello  :D

PatmanSan i had 3 requests that i was wondering if its possible to include in extreme version 2.6..hang on a sec i shouldnt say ( if possible ) not much is impossible for you and the extreme crew to figure out and get working correctly in CoD2...:)

1) CTF - Showing who has the flag: During the game when a player takes the flag it used to show when you would ( Hit Tab ) who the flag carrier is - but since we have used the rank setup for a long time when you hit tab it shows your current rank with an icon of the rank at that time
I have 2 solutions i was wondering your thoughts on them and if possible to include in 2.6.

Lets for example assume that im on the axis side: Show on the screen in lower right or left corner during game continuously who has the flag - or use the area in the upper right corner where player status shows players left if you have it enabled - who the allies flag carrier is - or even say both flag carriers if both axis and allies flags are taken - shows both flag carrier names - many times its so helpful to know which ememy player has your flag - specially in inhouse scrims and pugs. Here is the problem i foresee using this setup as stated im sure when you start running things on the screen...as i noticed in the past (gamestate) issues might and will occur thats my thinking which would make this idea a negative idea.!

Here is my thinking on an EASY way to get this to work...as stated while using the rank setup if you tab out to see the score and players...would it be possible to substitute the rank icon of the current person with the flag and switch the rank icon with the FLAG icon as it used to be or say like it is in pam im sure you know what i mean...I think this would be a great simple details tweak for extreme v2.6

2) CTF - Player that has the ememy flag has the option of dropping its so his teammate as example who might be a better flag carrier can take over the flag...my thinking of how to use this would be to use the ( use key ) F-key...in pam mode some rule sets for CTF SD TDM HQ allow you to drop your secondary weapon using the use key holding it a few seconds...once again i think you can get this to work for extreme 2.6 i ran this by Paulo88 like 2 years ago he thought it was a great idea...but i guess it never got passed the idea stage for extreme...lol...anyway i just thought i would bring it to your attention PAT -  this little feature would be a great addition to the ctf gameplay...( i cant recall how many times while playing someone would say in vent geee i wish i could just drop the flag or give it to you to take over ) well maybe in extreme v2.6 we will be able to.!

3) SV_FPS 30 & SNAPS 30 - With the addition of the ready up mode ( Like Pam-Mode ) in extreme 2.5 which is a nice feature more so when playing scrims or inhouse matches...I know that if you use it as is on the server - the timings get all screwed up for spawn and kill cam amoung other things...But if would be a GREAT addition if possible to have the option to enable sv_fps 30 into extreme just like in pam which would also auto set the players snaps to 30. Main advantages somewhat smoother gameplay, better reg, lower pings across the board ! Bottom line is that it work be a great performance addition to the extreme mod...I myself have wished for this feature to be included in extreme for a long time...!!!  I know with all the complexity going on within the extreme mod it might not be possible to implement sv_fps 30 but like most problems there usually is a solution its just a matter of figuring it out and im sure with all the great minds working on all the extreme mods it would just be a matter of time to get this figured out and working correctly.!

Keep up the good work extreme crew.!
Looking forward to extreme 2.6.!

Thanks
GenSherman  :twisted:

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
Re: CTF Tweaks & SV-FPS 30 Implementation.?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:57 am »
I already answered your PM with the same questions, but I don't want to leave this post unanswered, so let us discuss it here.

Here's the original PM reply:

1) The game only lets us precache 8 status icons. When the ranksystem is enabled, we already hit the max. In that case not even the connection icon can be shown anymore. To add a status icon for the flag carrier we would have to disable another one. This boils down to three options: (1) disabling the entire ranksystem, (2) disabling the ranksystem status icons, or (3) limit the ranksystem to 7 ranks.
Unfortunately the scoreboard is entirely handled by the game engine, otherwise I would sneak in an extra shader for the flag carrier. I have to think about an acceptable solution.

2) I think this is doable. We only have three player keys to monitor, and eXtreme is already using all of them for different features (differentiating between features based on movement and stance). Holding the USE key will start the healing process... or plant a mine. We probably have to find a way to monitor a key combination (like MELEE and USE together).

3) Please send me a link to the entire PAM package. I have a 250KB zip here, but I think it's only part of it, because I can't find any script that manipulates sv_fps or snaps. I can probably tap into the forced dvar feature of eXtreme somehow to make this work, but I would like to check if PAM has some special code to prevent timing issues.

Some additional info:

2) I did some testing and talked to Gixxer about this last night. Dropping the flag using a key combo (holding MELEE and pressing USE) seems to work fine. Only problem is that the instant you drop the flag, you pick it up again, because of the flag's radius trigger. By holding the keys, the flag carrier gets bonus points in a continuous stream... not good.
We can drop the flag a few feet away from the flag carrier, but it would be too easy to pick it up again and collect bonus points. We can take it one step further by excluding this player from additional bonus points until the flag is touched by another player, but we anticipate abuse by two teammates repeatedly handing over the flag to eachother. Mmmm... so we have to exclude this player from addtional bonus points until the flag is either captured or returned to it's base, *AND* prevent him from picking up the flag for a brief moment.

EDIT:
Drop flag feature is in (CTF). There was no need to prevent additional flag pick-ups. Only additional pick-up bonus points are disabled until the flag has been captured or returned. I will add this to CTFB, HTF and RBCTF asap.

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »
Drop flag feature is now part of CTF, CTFB, HTP and RBCTF (optional).

To enable the flag carrier status icon, I am thinking sbout dropping the status icon for rank 0 only (optional; only if enabled for flag based game types of course).

Making the mod sv_fps friendly is well underway. Proof of concept is looking good. I was able to run at sv_fps 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and even 1000 without major issues (sv_fps setting ranges from 10 to 1000; not sure if the game engine will adapt to all settings though). Small timing issues can be ironed out I think. I am calculating the best multipliers now, so we have reliable timing, especially on small delays (like frame based timing).

To be continued...

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:23 pm »
Is someone able to tell the "truth, and only the truth" about the relation between sv_fps and snaps? There's a lot of BS talk about this subject on the internet, and I don't know what to believe anymore. Some say you have to match up sv_fps and snaps, but they have different ranges, so that statement is only valid for sv_fps 10 up to 30.

sv_fps: default "20", domain is any integer from 10 to 1000
snaps: default "20", domain is any integer 1 to 30

Offline madskull

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:28:25 am »
hi!

another CTF tweak(?):

anticamping: on
man-with-the-flag: off (like a sniper option).
possible?

// this is the my first english post sorry:) //

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:22:00 am »
It already allows flag carriers to camp (hide).

Offline madskull

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »
ooohh!  thx Patmnsan!

Offline madskull

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:41:41 am »
different gametype - different anticamping settings?
( TDM - warn 30 sec, TDM-sniper 60sec , CTF warn 20 sec punish 40 )
???

Offline ViZo

• http://www.pitzklan.hu
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »
Quote from: "madskull";p="36466"
different gametype - different anticamping settings?
( TDM - warn 30 sec, TDM-sniper 60sec , CTF warn 20 sec punish 40 )
???

Ezt már tudja a 2.6-os mod madskull:

// Anti Camping System
//******************************************************************************
// time in seconds before warning a player to move on (non snipers)

set ex_campwarntime_sd "0"
set ex_campwarntime_esd "0"
set ex_campwarntime_hq "0"
set ex_campwarntime_chq "0"
set ex_campwarntime_ctf "0"
set ex_campwarntime_ctfb "0"
set ex_campwarntime_dm "15"
set ex_campwarntime_tdm "15"

// time in seconds before warning a player to move on (snipers only)
// 0 = disable, max = 600 (default = 0)

set ex_campsniper_warntime_sd "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_esd "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_hq "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_chq "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_ctf "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_ctfb "0"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_dm "15"
set ex_campsniper_warntime_tdm "15"

Offline madskull

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 06:28:09 pm »
thx ViZo  :)