Author Topic: Re: COD2 server side map effects setting with eXtreme+ v2.5  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Jackal

Re: COD2 server side map effects setting with eXtreme+ v2.5
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:29 pm »
Hello, is there a way to disable the glowbloomintensity 1 and 2 in the mp_mirage_ver4.gsc file on the server side, this map has a bad glowing effect that is really overly bright and washing out the view when using directX9 and works ok on directX7  problem is with directX7 other maps effects are lost.

By changing the settings: to zeros in the map gsc file it worked perfect on cod2 with directX9 while not running the eXtreme+ 2.5 mod on the server.
Sadly when starting up the eXtreme mod all the glowing brightness and blured effects returned.

mp_mirage_ver4.gsc
Example:

// Set some cvars
setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity0","0");_____changed from 1 to 0.
setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity1","0");_____changed from 1 to 0.
setcvar("r_glowskybleedintensity0",".5");

So I replaced the map unmodified mp_mirage_ver4.iwd into the main folder and copied the modified mp_mirage_ver4.gsc file into the....

Fs_game\character
         extreme
          \map\mp gsc files.................................................................................................

folder hoping this would work with the the eXtreme + 2.5 mod and sadly got negative results.
Is there anyway to do this?

Another map mp_fourregerre1_1 has a simular problem with directX9 and works ok with directX7, this one on the inside walls at the end of the building inside the tower rooms you can see sky and clouds bleeding through the walls again modifing the gsc file example:

setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity0","1");
setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity1","1");
setcvar("r_glowskybleedintensity0",".0"); changed this setting to zero and got perfect results when using directX9 without

the extreme+ mod, and again when running the extreme mod the glowskybleedintensity effect returned having the same results following the same line of tests. :?

Hopefully there is a way to over come this directX problem, maybe a cvar setting of some sort.

j\I Just wanted to say your mods really rock..., to bad for awe, they have nice mods too. :P

Maybe a cfg setting map related?

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:50:19 pm »
So I replaced the map unmodified mp_mirage_ver4.iwd into the main folder and copied the modified mp_mirage_ver4.gsc file into the....

Fs_game\character
        extreme
         \map\mp gsc files.................................................................................................

That was kinda confusing.

Copy the modified mp_mirage_ver4.gsc to <fs_game>\maps\mp on the server. It will override the original.

Offline DB-MAC

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 02:26:42 am »
Hi I apologize for replying to a year old post, but I am having the same sky-bleed issues as Jackal.  I have an incomplete but functioning map for Cod2 (yes some of us still play it.  :) ).  When I first tested it, the sky was bleeding through textures all over the place.  So in my map's gsc file, I set all three cvars that Jackal mentioned to 0.  (glowskybleed0  etc.)  This fixed the problem when I test the map via "Start a new server" on my own computer.  

When I upload the map to my clan's test server, it reverts to the sky bleeding through everything.  At this time, we're running the eXtreme+ v2.5 mod on that server.  I tried putting my map's gsc in the maps\mp folder on the server, but it didn't make any difference.   :x    Is there some kind of override somewhere in the mod that blocks cvar changes?  Is there a way to make a map-specific exception?

I apologize for my ignorance as I am just a beginner at all of this.  If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks,
MAC

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:12 pm »
The mentioned variables are client-side variables. On a local server ("Start a new server") the cvars in the map's gsc will take effect, because client and server are the same. On a dedicated server the "setcvar" commands will set cvars on the server only. They never reach the client. The server couldn't care less about the cvars, because it doesn't handle the graphics directly.

You could modify the level script to set the cvars on the client for this map, but the settings will stick for all subsequent maps until the player exits the game. Not really what you want either.

Offline DB-MAC

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:30 pm »
Thanks for the informative reply.  So, there isn't a very good fix for this problem?  I guess I need to figure out a way to overcome this issue with the map design itself.   :cry:

Just for testing sake, what is the command to force the client-side cvar settings?  Is it something like setClientCvar...  ?  And would I put this command in the map gsc, or one of the config files on the server?

Thanks again!   8)

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 07:09:29 am »
Edit the map's gsc you are about to put in the server's maps\mp folder.
Change the three setcvar lines into this:

makecvarserverinfo("r_glowbloomintensity0","0");
makecvarserverinfo("r_glowbloomintensity1","0");
makecvarserverinfo("r_glowskybleedintensity0","0");

For setclientcvar you'd have to monitor client connections, because it only fires once for a specific client.

Offline DB-MAC

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:42:13 pm »
Well I put the makecvarserverinfo commands in the gsc just as you suggested.  Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference.    :x

I don't know if we can, but turning off the glow effects for everyone who connects to the server may not be such a bad thing, because (at least with my crappy GPU) it appears to improve performance significantly when they are off.

How would I even go about doing this?  Do I need to change something in one of the gsc files in the x2_5 folder?  There is a force_dvars (i don't remember the exact name) folder, but I don't know what the difference is between a cvar and a dvar.  Maybe they aren't related.  I'm so lost!   :?

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »
The makecvarserverinfo commands in the gsc DO work. I mean the cvars are set on the client. You can check by bringing up the client console and type "r_glow" when running the map (and modified level script) on the server. You'll see that the cvars have been set according to the commands in the level script. If that doesn't change anything, the forced cvar loop won't do any good either.

Offline DB-MAC

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 02:59:07 pm »
I had another admin go check it out too, and he also still sees the glow effect.  I must be doing something wrong.   :(  

Does the makecvarserverinfo command require that I set the server cvars the way I want the client to be?  If so, where would I do this?

Offline PatmanSan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »
You could do both in the map's gsc, like this:

setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity0","0");
setcvar("r_glowbloomintensity1","0");
setcvar("r_glowskybleedintensity0","0");

makecvarserverinfo("r_glowbloomintensity0","0");
makecvarserverinfo("r_glowbloomintensity1","0");
makecvarserverinfo("r_glowskybleedintensity0","0");

But I don't think it will make a difference. Doesn't hurt to try though