Author Topic: A Better Way to Make an eXtreme+ Server on Your Computer  (Read 1629 times)

Offline ReaKtor

A Better Way to Make an eXtreme+ Server on Your Computer
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »
A Better Way to Make an eXtreme+ Server on Your Computer

Here is how to make an eXtreme+ server on your computer at home. While a rented server has the advantage of bandwidth to support a lot of players there are good reasons to have a server on you computer. First you can test maps to see if they run with eXtreme+. Second, you can test your mod at home before you invest in a rented server. And, you can test new configs for your rented server without all the uploading. Try it  - you will like it.

You can't start an eXtreme+ server using the ingame "start a new server" gimmick. That method gives you no control over the command line which is required to start a modded server.

Try this:

The very best way is to make a complete COPY of the the /Activision/ Call of Duty 2 / directory and rename it for exclusive use by the server.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Create this directory:

/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2 Server

Then COPY all the files from the original /Program Files/Activision /Call of Duty 2. Making this copy will take some time.

This creates a clean copy of the game from which to run your server. This method prevents some errors like not being able to find your server on the LAN server list (which happens often if you run the server and the game from the same directory). It also separates the /main maps that you download when playing from the maps that the server has in its /main directory.

After you have your server directory made you need to make an icon to start the server. In Windows Explorer navigate to /Program Files/Activision /Call of Duty 2 Server. Right click on the CoD2MP_s.exe and drag it out to your desktop. Select "Create Shortduts Here". DO NOT MOVE the file. Right clic on the new icon and select 'Rename'. Rename the icon "CoD2 1.3 Server". Now you have a place to put your command line.

Then Right Click the new icon and select 'Properties. The Target  line is where you put the server command llne. Make it look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2 Server\CoD2MP_s.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set fs_game kra +exec server.cfg +map_rotate

kra is my fs_game directory  - change this to be your fs_game subdirectory (where you installed eXtreme).

Before you start your server clean up the maps in /main. It is best to start with the stock maps so delete the custom maps in /main.

When you double click on the new icon a server window should open with a command input line at the bottom. Type 'status' there and the server should respond with a map and player list.

To join your new server start the game as you normally would from the original icon and in the server list you should find your server on the "Local" list.

Now you can run a server on your home computer and internet connection to  test maps. If you learn how to portforward your router, you can have a few friends join you.

Just to show you what can be done - On my computer I have these directories:

/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2
/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2 Server
/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2 1.0
/Program Files/Activision/Call of Duty 2 1.0 Server

That gives me player and server versions for both C0D2 v1.0 and CoD2 v1.3

To test custom maps  - just put a copy in both /main directories... ... and away you go.

To connect to the server I add +set net_port 28961 to the Target Line of my CoD2 icon. For each other computer on the network add one to the port like this: computer 2 >>> +set net_port 28962,  computer 3 >>> +set net_port 28963, and so on...

There is more but that should get you started.

Good Luck.

Offline 4peterjan4

• http://www.specialforces-clan.com
Re: A Better Way to Make an eXtreme+ Server on Your Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:35:03 pm »
Nice one Tutorial M8  :)

Offline BadPig

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »
Thanks for the post Dude. It gets my vote for best post ever. I have been trying to get a LAN server running w/ eXtreme installed on it for a couple weeks now. I  played on an XI server that was running the mod and ditched AWE for eXtreme.

Offline PvtGomerPyle

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:06 pm »
Hey ReaKtor
Gomer here....Remember me????? lol
Just to let you guys know, ReakTor helped me, several years back, to do just this and he was VERY patient with me....lol
I run this "server" on my home computer so my two brothers in California and a friend in NY can get together once in awhile for some COD fun.
I have no map rotation as we decide on the fly what map we want to run. I set up Teamspeak as well and things work great. My only "cost" is for a redirect site for maps and that is minimal.
Thanks again ReaKtor for ALL the time you spent pulling my head out of my arse at times...I'll never forget it..... :D  :D  :D