Author Topic: 2.7 lag issues during scrimmage  (Read 1099 times)

Offline axRhino

2.7 lag issues during scrimmage
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:44 am »
This is not really a support request just a report on performance and lag issues. Feedback and suggestions would be appreciated though.

We ran a small scrimmage on a 24 slot server last night using the 2.7 version of the extreme mod, The game type was ctf and I had turned off most all of the bells and whistles including, artillery, mortars, airstrikes, flares, flak, arcade scoring, auto taunts,etc. Additionally I limited the smoke grenades to two active grenades per team but as soon as players achieved the smoke grenades and started using them the whole server started to lag.

At that point we turned smoke off but the opposing squad still could not register hits even though the ping across the network and on the server looked normal for both teams.

I did have the readyup system on and the blood effects were installed.

In the end the scrimmage was a bust for them and they left with the feeling that the extreme mod and my server were the issue.

I like the mod mod but if it has these kinds of issues then I can't really see myself using it.

Can you make any suggestions that might slim the thing down or make the game play consistent and reliable?

Offline ReaKtor

Re: 2.7 lag issues during scrimmage
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:30 pm »
lag?

Over the years I have seen many servers that seemed to have lag, including my own. In the end most of these cases boiled down to bandwidth. That is, the speed of the internet connection that the server has. Servers "serve" the game to the entire cast of players, one at a time, so upload speed of the server's internet connection is what is critical.

The game allocates about 100k of bandwidth to each player's slot. So for a 24 slot server and 24 players, the server needs about 24 times 100k of bandwidth. That is 2.4 megs per sec of upload bandwidth.   This is more than DSL can handle for a server operated from home where the DSL upload speed is about 1 meg (and can support only about 10 players). So for a home server measure your upload speed (speakeasy.com) and then divide by 100k to get the max number of players. LAN? no problem.

And some providers seem to have trouble even with the so called fancy internet backbone connection. My old extreme server was recently moved (the entire box was moved) to a new internet hub in the same city. Now I can stress the game to the max and see no lag and no dropping of players as the gamestate increases.

So please tell us if you are running a home server on dsl? or some mickey mouse provider with a cheap connection? How many players were on the server?

My belief is that smoke nades only lag players with lousy video cards... ...or, servers with lousy upload speeds.

Once the bandwith question is answered, maybe someone here has some other ideas....

oh and turn off antilag - it does not work. .. and the mod is faster if you turn off logging like this:

set g_logsync "0"             // 0=no log, 1=buffered, 2=continuous, 3=append  
set logfile "0"          // 0 = NO log, 1 = log file enabled           these commands are 4 the console_mp_.log file

//Games log file useful for matches and catching cheaters?  makes huge files the you must delete or move weekly or your server will lock up!!!

//set sv_log_damage "1"                // this are 4 the games_mp.log file
//set g_log "games_mp.log"   //  there is still a short appended logfile even if zeros for other log variables
set g_log ""         //this prevents it from even creating the file

Offline axRhino

Re: 2.7 lag issues during scrimmage
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:36:47 am »
The server was full....24 slots and its not a home del server. its hosted by Ultimate Game Servers and is located in Dallas. While I'm definitely not running a dedicated server nor am I doing it myself in my home.

66.150.221.90:28960

I ran ping traces to my server once the lag started and didn't see any issues.

We ran into this problem once before in another scrimmage hosted by another group. They had about 26 slots and had many of the bells and whistles on like land mines, tripwires, flak, smoke etc. Once we got going our pings went crazy. Mine was 50% higher than when the game started but that was definitely version 2.5 or 2.6.

My personal connection is through comcast and its 20 megs down and 5 mess up.

Technically I don't know if it was lag or not..or just the mod bogging down. I guess thats what I'm trying to determine.

Logs were set like this so I doubt that was the issue:

//******************************************************************************
// eXtreme+ log control
//******************************************************************************
// Turn eXtreme debug logging on or off
// Only works for [[level.ex_log]]("text") in code
// 0 = disable (default)
// 1 = enable
//set ex_logextreme "0"

// Turn damage log lines in damage_mp.log on or off
// 0 = disable (default)
// 1 = enable
//set ex_logdamage "0"

// Set log platform to prevent localized string errors
// 0 = auto detect (default)
// 1 = windows method (self)